Thursday, December 10, 2009

School Lunch Peanut Butter Bars



Remember the peanut butter bars from elementary school lunch? They were the BEST! I searched the internet high and low and found this recipe that is very similar to the ones from elementary days. I even had the chance to do a taste test with the real deal at a Davis County School District lunch one day and I'd say they were about equal. Enjoy!

School Lunch Peanut Butter Bars

This recipe is for a large 18X13 inch pan.


Make sure to half the recipe if you are using a 9X13 inch pan!


Cream together:
1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar, packed
1 C butter, softened

Add and combine:
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1 C creamy peanut butter, chunky also works

Add and mix with above mixture:
2 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Add last:
2 C oats (I prefer whole oats, but the original recipe called for quick oats)

Spread dough on greased cookie sheet cake pan.

Bake 350 degrees for 20-23 minutes until golden brown. (My oven is 20 min)

While hot, spread 1/2-3/4 C creamy butter on top. This layer should be thin. It is easier to spread the peanut butter if you microwave the it for about 15 seconds so it is hot and thin. The amount of PB listed above is just a guess. I don't ever measure it, I just guess as to how much I need to cover the entire sheet with a thin layer, with the PB being hot and thin from the microwave.

Cool so that peanut butter is solid again. It helps if you place pan into the refrigerator for 10 minutes after they are completely cooled off so the peanut butter will become very solid.

Spread chocolate frosting on top. This layer should be thicker than peanut butter layer.

Cut into bars.

Hershey’s Cocoa Best Frosting
18X13 pan:not needed to double frosting recipe.

½ C butter
4 TBS Hershey’s Cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
4 TBS milk
4 C powdered sugar


1. Melt butter over low heat in medium saucepan.
2. Gradually add all other ingredients and mix well. Make sure you put frosting onto peanut butter bars immediately because this recipe sets rather quickly.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh friend! These look so good, my husband would LOVE these! Hmm...I wonder if I could experiment and make it a gluten free recipe? Thanks for the yummy posts, I needed to find something to make for Christmas goodies! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for posting this recipe! I was in search of peanut butter bars from my school days today and did a google search for "peanut butter bars davis county school district". somehow I got this recipe. I made them today and they were wonderful! Just like i remember from my days at Kaysville junior high. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO making these! Just the thought of them bring back memories of my favorite elementary school lunch...french dip with peanut butter fingers.

    ReplyDelete